Announcement from UW Early Childhood and Family Studies:
This independent study provides a rich, experiential learning opportunity for students interested in working with children with and without disabilities. Over summer, students will serve as interns for an inclusive summer program, facilitating social skills through field trips and science experiments. In addition to supporting campers in day-to-day activities, students will participate in a professional learning community led by experts in the field. This independent study is open to all UW undergraduate students, with priority granted to students in the College of Education.
Training Opportunities for Interns in Independent Study:
Three-day Training (estimated dates: July 5-7):
- Camp logistics
- Teaching science to young learners with and without disabilities
- Building Blocks of Inclusion
- Classroom management and social skills support
- Pivotal response treatment
Ongoing Professional Learning Community (on going over the course of camp, with focused sessions on Fridays; Session 1 July 10-28th, Session 2 July 31-August 11th)
- Program fosters PLCs within individual camp classrooms. PLCs led by a Masters Level special educator or equivalent professions, and draw on experts from the community
- Working alongside specialists, including drama therapists, OT, SLPs, etc.
- Prep and Debrief time:
- Before and after camp, camp staff will participate in structures prep and debrief discussions. These discussions focus on highlighting moments of success and moments of learning throughout camp, encouraging ongoing reflection.
- Friday Breakout Sessions
- Guided readings over the course of camp; review readings on Fridays
- Experts in the field will be invited to visit Fridays to facilitate focused discussions
- All camp staff and interns will be invited to present on an area of interest to them, sharing this knowledge/passion with their team
- Friday sessions will be flexible and invite discussion about issues of emerging importance.
Expectations for interns:
- Ideally, interns will be able to commit to the full camp session, and will be able to work half/full days consistently, meaning a weekday commitment, starting July 5, and going until August 11th.
- Camp runs from 9-3:30pm
- Full day would be from 8:30-4:30 (with a break for lunch)
- Half day would be from 8:30-1pm or 12pm-4:30pm
- Interns will be asked to commit until 5pm on Fridays, to allow for PLC work (detailed below)
Email Lisa Murakami if you are interested.