Volunteer Position: NLC Intake and Referral Intern
Program Description: The Neighborhood Legal Clinics (NLC) offer free 30-minute client consultations providing limited legal advice and referrals to low-income to moderate income King County residents and Washington State residents with legal issues in King County. NLC strives to make clinics accessible regardless of barriers such as income, education, language or disability. With 35 legal clinics countywide, NLC volunteers provide counsel in over 8,000 legal matters annually. NLC I&R Interns provide a valuable service to the community by connecting clients with resources and information, and empowering clients to create solutions to urgent legal problems.
- Screen and schedule clients for legal clinic appointments
- Prepare clients for attorney meetings and provide additional referrals if necessary
- Office administrative duties as needed
Time Commitment: Interns commit to one or two 4 hour shifts per week for 4-6 months.Shifts are Tuesday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the KCBA offices in downtown Seattle.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to respond to callers with patience, objectivity, and a non-judgmental attitude
- Ability to learn quickly and work successfully in a fast-paced environment
- Computer skills: MS-Outlook, Word, Excel, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox
- Ability work well as part of a team, a positive attitude and good sense of humor are highly valued
- Applicants with a customer service background or second language skills are encouraged to apply
- Build excellent communication and client interaction skills
- Become an expert on community resources available in King County
- Extensive training regarding a variety of civil legal issues and working with people in crisis
- Access to substantive continuing legal education courses