The UW application for students interested in seeking nomination for the Goldwater Scholarship is now available! Brief details are included here, and further information and application instructions are at https://expd.uw.edu/expo/scholarships/goldwater. Please find a Goldwater Scholarship flyer to post attached. Please share with undergraduate sophomores and juniors (based on graduation date) in STEM fields engaged in research and planning for research careers!
* NEW THIS YEAR!
In past years, the Goldwater Scholarship has limited colleges and universities to 4 nominations/school. This year, we are able to nominate 5 students to compete for this national award, as long as at least 1 of those 5 nominees is a community college transfer student! So both freshman-entry and community college transfer students who meet the guidelines below should be encouraged to apply!
GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP DETAILS:
The BARRY GOLDWATER SCHOLARSHIP is designed to attract outstanding students into research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, and engineering. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit to students who are sophomores or juniors during the current academic year and who have excellent academic records and demonstrated interest in and potential for research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. The scholarship covers undergraduate eligible expenses for tuition, fees, books, and room and board to a maximum of $7,500 per academic year.
UW DEADLINE to apply for nomination: November 12, 2019. Apply at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/apply/559.
To be considered for nomination, a student must:
- Be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior pursuing a degree at an accredited 2- or 4-year institution of higher education during the 2019-2020 academic year,
- Intend to pursue a research career in a natural science, mathematics or engineering (for a complete list of fields, see https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/eligibility/),
- Have a college grade point average of at least a 3.00 on a 4.00 scale (GPA above 3.5 highly recommended)
- Be a U.S. citizen from the 50 states or the District of Columbia; a U.S. national for those students nominated by institutions in Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands; or a permanent resident.
- Be nominated by their college or university. UW is able to nominate up to 5 students* to compete for this national award, including at least one community college transfer student!
o UW NOMINATION NOTE: To be competitive for nomination at UW, students are recommended to have a minimum of three quarters of research experience and a minimum GPA of 3.5.
UW INFORMATION SESSIONS
Attend an information session to learn more about eligibility and suitability for this competitive scholarship program, information about the campus application and nomination process, and assistance students will receive if selected as campus nominees. Please RSVP at: https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/241.
- Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 3:30-4:30pm pm, MGH 171 or online
- Thursday, October 10, 2019, 12:30-1:30 pm, MGH 171 or online
- Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 5:30-6:30 pm, MGH 171 or online